Saturday 26 December 2015

Boxing Day

Yo ho ho and I got-a no rum
Besides the chocolate I got yesterday ;)

(I once tried to get purposely drunk on a box of rum-chocolates, but it didn't work - a story for another time....)

 
Oh, don't mind the photo of the Christmas pudding. :)
I just really like it! Strange how fruit cakes are always seen as a gift nobody wants and passes it on (as seen on tv).
I love the damn stuff! :D


It is boxing day!

While the origins of this day as many different beginnings, like a master giving a "Christmas box" (goodies and presents) to their servants with a day off, or people making a random gift basket for tradesmen or a box where money can be donated to give to the poor, I like to think it is a day where the left over Christmas food are boxed and given to the less fortunate. This is actually the first origin story I have heard as well.
What does Boxing Day mean to you?

I'm not actually the religious sort but it is a very kind thing to be doing today. You don't have to go to church to practice being kind, but only offer a few minutes to someone less fortunate.

     Just a random fact:
     The richest 85 people in the world has as much money as the poorest 3.5 Billion in the world.
     And another fact (also as seen on social experiments) the poorest people are the most likely to            share compared to richer people.
       (Whoa... this blog entry isn't made as an internet guilt trip. haha)



I was with my family yesterday for Christmas, or rather they came to visit me in town. We didn't do a big festive family gathering with a lot of food. We only went out as a family again to eat a meal together, no left overs, but I did promise I would promote boxing day a little today.

I just happened to pass three people on the street on my way to the shops, a small family. Needed cat food and cheese as well. But don't worry... I wasn't going to mask the cat food with melted cheese and give it away! I might have a dark sense of humour, "some days", but that would be ridiculous...

On my way back I bought all three a meal and got them a hot drink. Surprisingly it was quite chilly this morning with the winds blowing around in town. :/ Seeing they used towels for pillows and had a thin blanket to keep warm, I figured a hot beverage would do them nicely too.

It makes a person happy to see someone else happy, even for the most basic things in life, which also makes one very sad because they appreciate the little things in life and we complain about things that really shouldn't matter... Makes me more sad that a person can't help everyone in life, but for that one person it makes all the difference, which makes me happy again... and sad.  
So many mixed feelings...
For that one person it is enough to carry on for another day, and it is the little one person can do for another that counts for them. :)

It reminds me something Mother Teresa once said:
It makes a larger difference than you might think.

No comments:

Post a Comment