Monday 14 October 2013

Yell, gather, boot, whoops... there was spider



I heard a yell coming from the living room,
"George!!! There is a Biiiiiiiiiiig SPIDER near where you sit!!!!!!"
(that was my mom yelling at my dad...)

I rushed to see what over exaggerated claim my mom has made to some small creepy looking thing...

I peeked around the corner, mom came rushing towards my room. I stepped into the living room and looked.... looked... HOLY SHIZZLES! That IS a big spider! O_O






I wasn't quick enough to take a snapshot as calling Mr/Mrs spider near for a model photoshoot was the last thing on my mind. But here is a picture of a Rain spider. One that crawled in by our window.







Dad wanted a shoe, not a show, so I went to get him the first one.
Sorry about that Spider... you hanged around too much.

Only when I did some research did I find this spider to be totally harmless. Despite it was about 8 cm big and a 3 cm body! It was the biggest spider I've witnessed inside our home. O_O

These biters can even grow bigger, I read. Becareful, there might be a spider in a corner near you ;)

They are called Rain spiders. Aptly named as they come out (or rather in) just before it will start raining... Keen spider senses there little one.

They sometimes nest indoors, trying to catch little insects, but primarily hunt outside in the dark.
In the day time they might hide behind your alarm system and sleep cuddled up with it's eyes open.
No eye drops, Doctor!



Just another pic of them... though.. I don't quite remember seeing so many "hair" on its legs...
But this is another Rain-spider.
Do note that they stay in Cape Town too. Especially if you have a dense garden like ours.
:D *unimpressed sarcastic smile... *

I've noticed some fugly giant sacks hanging low on the tree when we first moved in here at our current place. We thought it was a Black widow's spider nest. The Garden people removed it, but upon research... those white deflated-soccerball size nests was theirs...





Now... At first my mom thought "what on earth chased this big spider indoors? What scared it!?"

A day later... the below appeared on the inside of the window sill...





...A very tired snail....

No comments:

Post a Comment